1.) This invitation for expressions of interest follows the general procurement notice that appeared in UN Development Business online, Issue No.637 of 11 March 2005.
The Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) has received a credit from the International Development Association (IDA) towards the cost of the Federal Roads Development Project (FRDP). The project supports the implementation of the national strategy to ensure sustainable maintenance of the federal road network over the short and medium term in order to provide appropriate levels of service across the entire federal road network.
The Federal Ministry of Works (FMW) established the Road Sector Development Team (RSDT) to administer and manage the FRDP. RSDT has identified the need to engage an experienced Legal Officer to handle the Legal issues and documentations functions of the Team. He/she will be responsible for the coordination and collaboration in all legal issues between RSDT, FMW and other interested parties.
2.) Objective of the Services:
The Legal Officer will be responsible for liaising with the Legal Dept. of the FMW on all Contracts and other issues requiring legal input. He/she will oversee the preparation of Contracts Documents and other legally binding documents. He/she will provide guidance and advice to the Team on any legal matter and dealing with any legal query from the FMW and other Project Stakeholders. Monitor and follow up on all legal issues relating to the Unit and third parties.
3.) Qualifications/specialized knowledge/experience required
A Master’s degree in Law with a biased in Contracts Administration/Arbitration.
4.) Duration of the Appointment
- The ideal candidate will have a very broad experience in Contract Management, Arbitration and hands-on experience in Contract documents preparation.
- Must be a qualified member of relevant professional association
- A Master’s degree in Law with a biased in Contracts Administration/Arbitration;
- Minimum of 7 years practical experience in the practice of law with a law firm, a government and/or an international organization's legal office, experience in litigation an asset;
- At least 5 years of working experience as legal officer/advisorin a similar working environment.
- The right candidate will have experience of Contract Law Administration
- Ability to work with utmost discretion in handling sensitive and confidential matters;
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to interpret rules and guidelines;
- Demonstrable knowledge in Computer and Office Applications;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to take initiative, to work unsupervised and to take responsibility for managing relationships with the Legal Unit of the FMW and partner organizations
- Well experienced in Contracts Documents Preparation in a Donor Funded Projects
The contract shall be Performance Based and the Legal Officershall be appointed on contract for an initial period of two years which will be renewable based on performance.
Consultants will be selected in accordance with the procedures set out in the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA credits by World Bank January 2011 Edition.
Interested consultant should submit one (1) copy of expression of interest (detailed CV, copies of degree certificates etc.) in English language in an envelope marked: “Expression of Interest – Post of Legal Officer - Road Sector Development Team” at the address below.
Expressions of Interest should be addressed to the Unit Manager and MUST reach the below office addresson or before 5:00pm on Tuesday April 30th 2013.
The Unit Manager,
Road Sector Development Team,
6 Niagara Close, off Erie Crescent, off Nile Street,
Maitama, Abuja, Nigeria
Tel: +234 (0) 7034044403