The Federal Ministry of Water Resources (FMWR) invites qualified and interested professional firm(s) to indicate interest by submitting EOI documents for the following works:
The Federal Ministry of Water Resources (FMWR) is created to provide sustainable access to safe and sufficient water to meet the cultural and socio-economic needs of all Nigerians in a way that will enhance public health, food security and poverty reduction, while maintaining the integrity of fresh water ecosystem of the nation.
Applications are invited for:
Title: Request for Expression of Interest (REOI) for Consultancy Services as Independent Verification Agent (IVA) for the Nigerian Surwash Programme for Result
Reference No.: NG-SURWASH/FPIU/QCBS/IVA/2021/01
The Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) has received USD$700million financing from the World Bank towards the cost of the Nigeria Sustainable Urban, Rural Water Supply Sanitation & Hygiene (SURWASH) Programme, and intends to apply part of the proceeds for the Consultancy Services to engage an Independent Verification Agent (IVA) for the NG-SURWASH Programme.
The NG-SURWASH is a six-year programme consisting of a US$640 million Program-for-Results (PforR) with a US$60 million Investment Project Financing (IPF) component. It introduces a results-based approach with the potential to propel Nigeria's efforts to ensure that all its people have access to sustainable and safely managed WASH services. It introduces an innovative approach to sector programming that leverages incentives to simultaneously deliver infrastructure that works, policies that govern, and institutions that sustain. The technical assistance (TA) provided under the IPF component will address critical institutional development and capacity gaps within implementing agencies.
The programme will be implemented in Delta, Ekiti, Gombe, Imo, Kaduna, Katsina & Plateau States for a period of six years.
Objectives of the Assignment
The Federal Project Implementation Unit (FPIU) intends to engage a professional firm to act as an independent verification agency under terms of reference to be responsible for (i) preparing verification's reports in accordance with the Verification Protocol; (ii) certifying the achievement of Disbursement Link Indicators (DLls) indicated to be verified by such independent verification agency in accordance with the Verification Protocol during each Assessment Period; and (iii) furnish such verification reports to the Federal Project Coordinating Unit (FPIU) and the World Bank in such scope and in such details as contained in the Programme Appraisal Document (POM) and Project Operation Manual (POM).
Such verification shall be carried out on at least an annual basis that the results as laid out in the DLI matrix have been physically delivered, in an approved manner, and properly documented. Results will be verified through paper and physical inspection that tests the accuracy of results claimed by the implementing agencies in the implementing states.
Scope of Assignment
The Scope of the Service will include but not limited to the following:
- On at least an annual basis, random selection of sampling units from lists provided by the SPIUs, identification of all sampled households, administration of a verification checklist in each sampled household using mobile data collection, and delivery of quality data from the physical verification exercise in tabdelimited format.
- On at least an annual basis, the IVA will conduct desk-based data and documentation review to determine compliance with the DLls.
- The IVA will prepare a Results Verification Report (RVR) on at least an annual basis prepared in compliance with the procedures set forth in the Verification Protocol that will be simultaneously submitted to the FMWR through the FPIU and the World Bank respectively in order to guide the disbursement amount under the Pfor of the loan to FGN. The detailed Terms of Reference (ToR) for the assignment can be obtain from the address below.
The Federal Ministry of Water Resources now invites eligible firm or Joint Venture to indicate interest in providing these services. Interested firm must provide verifiable information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services.
Short listing criteria are as follows:
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in data collection (sample of households) preferably in the water supply and sanitation sector.
- To perform the required verification tasks, the IVA will need to demonstrate ability to review Dlls under the two Results Areas, from infrastructure, operations, sector reform, and utility and sector institutional performance. More specifically:
- Extensive experience designing and examining similar construction works; experience in conducting household surveys and interviews in Nigeria in recent years.
- Knowledge of local formalities and customs in the implementation of household surveys, including ability to obtain all necessary permissions and permits related to the logistics of survey implementation.
- Strong background in the preparation of household listings for random selection.
- Good network of experienced interviewers and supervisors, preferably full-time staff
- Background and expertise in both quantitative and qualitative research methodology
- Demonstrated experience in the design, implementation, and analysis of surveys in water supply and sanitation.
Please note that key expert will not be evaluated at the shortlisting stage.
Application Closing Date
1st February, 2022.
Submission of Documents
One original and two copies of the Expression of Interest must be delivered to the address below in a sealed envelope clearly marked "Expression of Interest for Consultancy Services for Independent Verification Agent (IVA) for the Nigeria Surwash Programme".
The firm will be engaged for a period of six (6) years. The Consultant will be selected using Quality and Cost Based Selection (QCBS) method, and in accordance with the procedures set out in the World Bank Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers, published in July 2016 (revised November 2017,July 2018 and November 2020).
All submissions should be addressed to:
Engr. Abdulhamid A. Gwaram, MNSE
The National Programme Coordinator,
NG Sustainable Urban, Rural Water Supply Sanitation & Hygiene (SURWASH) Programme,
Federal Ministry of Water Resources,
No 15, Ajesa Street,
F.C.T - Abuja.
For further information or enquiries, please contact the Programme Coordinator on:
Phone: +234 (0) 8060779770
The Ministry is not bound to shortlist any consultant.
- The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to Section III, paragraphs, 3.14, 3.16, and 3.17 of the World Bank's "Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers" November 2020 ("Procurement Regulations"), setting forth the World Bank's policy on conflict of interest.
- Interested firms may associate with other firm(s) to enhance their qualifications but should indicate clearly whether the association is in the form of a joint venture and/or a sub-consultancy. In the case of a joint venture, all the partners in the joint venture shall be jointly and severally liable for the entire contract, if selected. The IVA will be a private firm of international reputation and with a strong local presence.