CLEEN Foundation invites interested experts and scholars in police research and studies to tender EOI applications for the following works:
CLEEN Foundation ("CLEEN") (formerly known as Centre for Law Enforcement Education) is a non - governmental organization established in January 1998 with the mission of promoting public safety, security, and accessible justice through the strategies of empirical research, legislative advocacy, demonstration programmes and publications, in partnership with government, civil society and the private sector.
Since its establishment in the country in 1998, CLEEN has supported the development of the security and justice sectors through capacity building programs, accountability and justice programs, local and international research initiatives, public safety and security interventions, community resilience, peace building efforts and through promotion of human rights and the rule of law in partnership with Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), government agencies, media organizations and developmental partners.
Applications are invited for:
Title: Expression of Interest for Consultant to Work on Police Reform Audit Post Endsars Protest in Nigeria
Primarily, this project is designed to address the persistent problem of brutality and human rights violations by the police and to contribute to police reform efforts in Nigeria. Globally, police institutions have come under scrutiny and concerns about the delivery of their mandate, especially on the issue of extrajudicial killings and the use of force beyond permissible levels by police officers across the globe. The recent public outcry in the United States of America following the heart-wrenching killing of a black African American known as George Floyd sparked a reaction by the Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement in the United States and across the world in solidarity for the urgency to restrain the powers of the police.
The killing of George Floyd has followed a pattern of racially motivated police brutality against unarmed black males in the US. From George Floyd, the killings seem to have continued unabated. Back in Nigeria, there has been persistent clamour against brutality by personnel of the Nigerian Police.
The defunct F-SARS unit which was originally set up within the Police to address violent crimes and criminality deviated from their call to high levels of extortion, violence against young men and outright extra-judicial killings. The detestable activities of the defunct F-SARS operatives led to the 'ENDSARS' campaign against police brutality and a national call to disband the unit late 2020. The protests were precipitated by years of bottled-up citizen's anger on police high-handedness, extortion, professional misconduct, especially by the operatives of the defunct F-SARS unit. These cumulatively showed a need to address the global policing culture towards the people and to address police reforms aimed at re-professionalization of police. The government was forced to take some drastic measures aimed at addressing concerns raised by the protesters and to promoting police reform in the country.
From the above, CLEEN Foundation is interested in carrying out an audit to explore reforms or structural changes in policing in Nigeria Post-EndSARS protest. The Audit is designed to make use of both qualitative and quantitative methodologies. The Audit will rely on data from the public and key actors of the EndSARS protest in Nigeria.
- Aggregate views and concerns of the public on police reform initiative by the government and the police authority since the EndSARS protest.
- Explore the impacts and gaps associated with the ENDSARS Protest in Nigeria.
In view of the above, CLEEN Foundation is inviting applications from experts and scholars in police research and studies in Nigeria.
- Consultant must possess a PhD degree in Sociology, Criminology, or other relevant Social Science discipline.
- Must have at least 10 years consistent experience in police and policing issues in Nigeria.
- Must possess an extensive knowledge and experience in qualitative and quantitative research.
- Must possess a unique writing skill.
- Must have publications in peer review journals.
- The consultant will actively participate in the methodology workshop.
- The consultant will develop tools for the adopted methodologies.
- Will actively be involved in the qualitative data collection exercise.
- Develop a combined methodology report for the Audit.
The Application must include the Following:
- A cover letter showing experience and suitable skill for the requirements highlighted above.
- An updated CV (maximum of 3 pages).
- A sample of a qualitative publication/report with a wide read.
Application Closing Date
21st January, 2022.
Submission of Documents