The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) invites eligible / reputable consultant(s) to tender applications for the following works:
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is a United Nations organization tasked with helping countries eliminate poverty and achieve sustainable economic growth and human development. Headquartered in New York City, it is the largest UN development aid agency, with offices in 170 countries.
Applications are invited for:
Title: Consultancy - Senior Research Consultant (Report on the SG on the State of SSC), UNOSSC/UNDP
The General Assembly in its Resolution A/C.2/76/L.52 requested the Secretary-General to submit to the General Assembly a comprehensive report on the state of South-South cooperation, including the implementation of the outcome document of the second High-level Conference at its 77th session in 2022. The purpose of the report is to inform discussions on South-South cooperation as the General Assembly considers the operational activities for development.
The United Nations office for South-South Cooperation (UNOSSC), hosted by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) since 1974, serves as the focal point for promoting and facilitating South-South and triangular cooperation for development on a global and United Nations system-wide basis1. Following the provided mandate, UNOSSC is the UN system coordinator and focal point for South-South cooperation (SSC). The UNOSSC monitors South-South and triangular cooperation in the UN system and reports to the highest levels of the system, as well as the UN General Assembly, the High-level Committee on South-South Cooperation (HLC), the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) and the UNDP/UNFPA/ UNOPS Executive Board.
It provides secretariat services to biennial sessions of the High-level Committee on South-South Cooperation and its bureau and to other relevant United Nations governing bodies. It supports the mainstreaming of South-South approaches to development in global policies and operational activities of the United Nations development system and enhances the coherence and coordination of United Nations system support to South-South and triangular cooperation.
An important outcome of the UNOSSC’s draft strategic framework (2022-2025) is to strengthen policies to advance South-South and triangular cooperation through effective, evidence-based support to intergovernmental processes, multi-stakeholder dialogues and reporting. Priority under this outcome will be given to enhancing United Nations Office for South-South Cooperation thought leadership in support of intergovernmental processes and multi-stakeholder dialogues including by expanding the scope and improving the quality and the usefulness of mandated reports by the Office through evidence-based knowledge and research, including the annual report of the Secretary-General on the state of South-South cooperation, which is the annual report to the General Assembly Economic and Financial Committee (Second Committee), the biennial report of the Secretary-General to the High-level Committee on South-South Cooperation, the biennial report of the Administrator of UNDP to the High-level Committee on South-South Cooperation and Annex of the UNDP Administrator’s Report to Executive Board of UNDP/UNFPA/UNOPS (annual update on results achieved by the UNOSSC) .
UNOSSC seeks to hire a Senior Research Consultant to assist with the preparation of the 2022 report of the Secretary General on the state of South-South cooperation, by analyzing surveys, conducting research, and drafting the report that will inform deliberations of Member States on United Nations support to South-South cooperation during the 77th session of the General Assembly.
Scope of Work
- Review the attached note (Annex) on scope of the 2022 Report of Secretary-General and analytically build on previous reports of the Secretary-General on the state of South-South cooperation;
- Analyze and draw lessons for the future from the report of Secretary-General on the State of South-South cooperation (A/76/403) that was submitted to the 76th session of the General Assembly, and the Report of the High-level Committee on South-South Cooperation at its twentieth session (A/76/39); Report of the Secretary-General to the HLC (SSC/20/2), Report of Administrator to HLC (SSC/20/1);
- Gather, compile and analyze information and data obtained from a survey conducted by UNOSSC among United Nations organizations; UNDESA survey among partner country governments, UNDESA survey among Resident Coordinators, UNDESA Survey among UN entities Headquarters; UNDCO IMS database during the reporting period, 2021-2022;
- Fill information gaps in response to the survey by conducting further research, follow-up with agency South-South focal points and analyze the data available from other sources including official documents, websites and publications of United Nations system organizations relevant to South-South cooperation and analytically present the information provided;
- Prepare the following: a) an annotated outline of the report; b) a first draft on the basis of the outline agreed upon with the UNOSSC; c) submit a first draft for UNOSSC comments; d) c) a second draft for UNOSSC comments; and e) a final draft maintaining the timeline agreed upon with UNOSSC; f) prepare a one-page summary of the final report.
- Other duties at the request of the Director a.i.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum Masters degree in international relations, international development, public policy, economics or other related fields.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible professional experience in the area of policy analysis and policy research in international development both at national and international levels required;
- Thorough knowledge and experience in the debates surrounding South-South and triangular cooperation; required
- Demonstrated experience in managing research projects including prior experience with the development of reports. Desirable
- Experience working collaboratively in a team structure in a multicultural environment Desirable.
- Knowledge of the United Nations system and in particular knowledge of UNDP policies and organizational frameworks is highly advantageous. Desirable
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
- Working knowledge of another UN language would be an asset.
Application Closing Date
27th January, 2022.
Submission of Applications
Interested/qualified consultants who wish to submit applications should Click Here
The application package containing the following (to be uploaded as one file):
- A cover letter with a brief description of why the Offer considers her/himself the most suitable for the assignment;
- Personal CV or P11, indicating all past experience from similar projects and specifying the relevant assignment period (from/to), as well as the email and telephone contacts of at least three (3) professional references; and
- Writing sample - analytical high-level reports required
N/B: Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
For more clarifications on this document, please Click Here