Mercy Corps invites interested and qualified candidates / firm to tender RFP documents for the following works:
Mercy Corps is a global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. Mercy Corps started its operations in 1979 in Portland, USA and has since expanded to 43 countries worldwide. The organization exists to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people secure productive and just communities.
Applications are invited for:
Title: Request for Proposal (RFP) - Establishment and Strengthening North-East Women Economic Empowerment Network (NEW - EEN)
Purpose / Project Description
Prevailing cultural and social norms remain a central cause for disproportionately disadvantaging women and creating multiple constraints for them. These constraints include: limited ownership, access to, and control of long-term assets, resources and services, market system exclusion; high levels of illiteracy and numeracy incapability; limited access to income and decision making over expenditures and lack of government support.
The activity’s overall goal is to effect long-term sustainable improvements to markets in Northeast Nigeria that will promote stability, improved nutritional status and sustainable progress out of poverty. This approach involves promoting systemic changes in agricultural and non-agricultural market systems by removing barriers to entry and aligning incentives for new and existing market actors to develop and strengthen business models that are inclusive of young people and women. It places a major emphasis on increased economic participation of women, youth and other marginalized groups, building trust by leveraging social networks and creating commercial relationships between market actors to improve leadership and power dynamics, facilitate information flows, and strengthen transparency mechanisms in markets, and stimulate friendly business policies. All these aspects directly or indirectly contribute to increased production, availability of food, sustainable income for households and progressive markets systems.
The activity recognises that empowering women is a strategic move, and has actively spurred its private, civil society and public sector partners to invest significant resources in initiatives that aim to support women’s and girls’ economic empowerment. Mercy Corps seeks a consultant to facilitate the establishment and strengthening of the North East Women Economic Empowerment Network (NEW-EEN) who will deploy an integrated approach, based on a human rights framework, that creates an enabling environment. This will be a voluntary socio-economic network of female leaders and influencers drawn from the public sector, private sector and civil society, in the North East, who are directly or indirectly involved in the value chains (maize, groundnut, rice cowpea, small ruminants and micro enterprises) of the activity and the business milieu of North East Nigeria. They will be mentored in leadership and advocacy skills to constructively contribute to governance and private sector leadership commitment by collectively engaging with and addressing barriers to economic advancement of women and foster implementation of friendly business regulations while contributing to the functionality and inclusivity of the market system in intervention locations. We will select one proposal and costed work plan focusing on assessment of capacities and capabilities and selection of membership for NEW-EEN, development and implementation of mentorship plan/modules and sustainability framework for the network.
- To assemble strong membership of the NEW-EEN - notable women in Agribusiness and leadership spheres at different levels in targeted communities/LGAs and states based on potentials and capabilities for leadership and advocacy engagements.
- To establish 4 functional and sustainable, apex state-specific socio-economic networks of female influential market actors and leaders for active leadership and advocacy engagement with strategic supporting functions of RRA value chains in BAYG states
The consultant will be required to travel to cover the four locations captured in this SOW states and provide the following services:
- Development and administration of all relevant Data Collection Tools (DCTs) for the following:
- Mapping of relevant policies and regulations, and duty bearers in intervention states
- Profile template for assessing potential members of NEW-EEN
- Coordination meetings with all relevant MDAs, Private sector organizations, socio-economic bodies and community structures
- Administration and analysis of profile forms and collation of membership list for NEW-EEN for the BAYG states
- Development of a tailored and participatory mentorship toolkit in advocacy and leadership for improved skills in stakeholders’ engagement for improved, gender transformative, inclusive and sustainable market systems
- Co-development and active implementation of state-specific policy engagement action plans
- Coordinate NEW-EEN initiatives and provide oversight support
- Indicative transition pathway and sustainability framework for NEW_EEN
- Facilitate innovative initiatives that may evolve in the course of implementing the NEW-EEN initiative
- Propose monitoring plan for the initiative
- Develop tailored IEC materials for advocacy and sensitization engagements
- Coordinate all media actions of the NEW-EEN for advocacy and sensitization purposes
- Develop at least two learning documents form the NEW- EEN initiative
- Share quarterly reports of all NEW-EEN milestone achievement and a harmonised report at the end of the consultancy
- All activities to be undertaken under the consultancy must adhere strictly to MC COVID-19 guidelines and SoPs
Suppliers may not apply, and will be rejected as ineligible, if they :
- Are not registered companies
- Are bankrupt or in the process of going bankrupt
- Have been convicted of illegal/corrupt activities, and/or unprofessional conduct
- Have been guilty of grave professional misconduct
- Have not fulfilled obligations related to payment of social security and taxes
- Are guilty of serious misinterpretation in supplying information
- Are in violation of the policies outlined in Mercy Corps Anti Bribery or Anti Corruption Statement
- Supplier (or supplier’s principals) are on any list of sanctioned parties issued by; or are presently excluded or disqualified from participation in this transaction by: the United States Government or United Nations by the United States Government, the United Kingdom, the European Union, the United Nations, other national governments, or public international organizations.
- Team or Individual should have least a first degree in social sciences or arts and relevant experience
- Fluency in English is essential. Knowledge of local language is an added advantage
- Excellent knowledge of and experience with humanitarian guidelines and principles.
- Excellent reporting and presentation skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with the other team members/partners
Evidence of Experience:
- Extensive theoretical and practical experience in youth and women centered projects
- Experience in mentoring and raising leaders towards women empowerment and gender equality
- Experience working with INGOs
- Willingness to travel and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to work in a multicultural and inter-sectoral environment.
- Ability to coordinate, direct and supervise others to achieve a common goal.
- Must have successfully established or strengthened Women-led networks for leadership and advocacy purposes (reports, pictures, and other MOVs to be presented as evidence)
- Good understanding of business context of Northeast Nigeria
- Excellent analytical and report writing skills
- Demonstrated understanding of strengthening youth/women resilience through livelihoods.
- Commitment to and understanding of Feed the future Rural Resilience Activity aims, values and principles
- In-depth knowledge in development of sustainable mentoring plan based on proposal/costed workplan alignment with Women Economic Empowerment, policy advocacy, conflict sensitivity and resilience building for North East Nigeria
- Provide evidence of Financial Capacity to undertake this activity either by providing evidence in similar high value services done in the past, bank statement or Financial Statement.
Application Closing Date
26th January, 2022.
Submission of Documents
Applications / Proposals should be submitted in a sealed envelope labelled as "NIG/ABV/TEN0050 - Establishment and strengthening North-East Women Economic Empowerment Network (NEW - EEN)" to:
Mercy Corp Nigeria,
Plot 166 Umar Dikko Street,
Adjacent Lake View Estate,
Interested and qualified candidates / firm should send their Applications / Proposals in a PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
using the "NIG/ABV/TEN0050-Establishment and strengthening North-East Women Economic Empowerment Network (NEW - EEN)" as the subject of the email.
- All offers shall be made in accordance with these instructions, and all documents requested should be furnished, including any required (but not limited to) supplier-specific information, technical specifications, drawings, bill of quantities, and/or delivery schedule. If any requested document is not furnished, a reason should be given for its omission in an exception sheet.
- No respondent should add, omit or change any item, term or condition herein.
- If suppliers have any additional requests and conditions, these shall be stipulated in an exception sheet.
- Each offeror may make one response only.
- Each offer shall be valid for the period of [180 days] from its date of submission.
- All offers should indicate whether they include taxes, compulsory payments, levies and/or duties, including VAT, if applicable.
- Suppliers should ensure that financial offers are devoid of calculation errors. If errors are identified during the evaluation process, the unit price will prevail. If there is ambiguity on the unit price, the Selection Committee may decide to disqualify the offer.
For more clarification on this RFP, please Click Here