The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) invites eligible Individual Consultant(s) to indicate interest by submitting EOI documents for the following works:
The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional political and economic union of fifteen countries located in West Africa. Collectively, these countries comprise an area of 5,114,162 km², and in 2015 had an estimated population of over 349 million.
Applications are invited for:
Title: Expression of Interest (EOI) - Selection of Two (2) Individual Consultants for the Revision of ECOWAS Regional Distance (E-Learning) Policy and the 2023 - 2033 Action Plan
The importance of distance / e-Learning has been reflected in the commitment of the Heads of State and Government who adopted the ECOWAS Distance Learning Policy in 2012 as well as a set of implementation projects (PIDs) of the policy. However, the policy could not be implemented through the PIDs which ten years later, are now outdated. Today, with recent global happenings due to the coronavirus pandemic in 2019, which have shown the importance ICTs in the fields of education, training through platforms such as Zoom, Microsoft Teams, multimedia resources and tutorials etc., distance and eLearning have become essential and necessary. This informs the need to revise the policy and formulate a 2023 - 2033 regional action plan.
The new policy is in line with the new ECOWAS Vision 2050 currently being developed, the African Union's Agenda 2063 and the United Nations' 2030 Sustainable Development Goals. In addition, while considering the expectations of ECOWAS Member States, the new policy intends to integrate the strategies formulated in this area developed in the continent, the region and in international governmental organisations.
To that end, the ECOWAS Commission is initiating a study for the revision of the regional eLearning policy, to take into account the new challenges to the region's development. These terms of reference are drawn up with a view to procuring the services of two individual consultants: one consultant to cover the English-speaking countries and the second the French- and Portuguese-speaking countries.
The main objective of this mission is to review the current policy and propose a new regional eLearning policy that takes into account the region’s current and future developmental challenges.
Specifically, this involves:
- Making a diagnosis of the new challenges of the distance /eLearning sector in the region;
- Proposing a new vision and policy goals in line with the ECOWAS Vision 2050 and regional strategy papers;
- Proposing strategic areas for the definition of an action plan;
- Proposing a monitoring and evaluation mechanism for the STI policy;
- Proposing a revised framework of regional eLearning policy;
- Proposing a 2023 - 2033 Action Plan for implementation over a 10-year period.
With due consideration to the various efforts made by the Education Department of ECOWAS and Member States, The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) represented by the ECOWAS Commission intends to carry out a consultancy on the Revision of the ECOWAS Regional Distance (E-Learning) Policy and the 2023-2033 Action Plan.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Consultants
The mission will be conducted by a team of two (2) consultants. One will cover English speaking countries and the other will cover French- and Portuguese-speaking countries.
- Collect country information, analyse and compare it with the challenges faced in the development of regional eLearning policy in 2012;
- Identify the new challenges of ECOWAS Member States in the sector and propose actions to be taken to address the challenges;
- Identify a vision, missions, guiding principles, objectives and strategic outcomes to be achieved;
- Develop the draft revised Policy on Distance and e-Learning and the (2023-2033) Action Plan;
- Propose an overall cost of implementing the Action Plan as well as the possible sources of funding for the Plan.
Thus, the consultants should:
- Organise and plan activities related to the preparation of the various reports
- Submit the drafts of the various reports to the Department of Education, Science and Culture.
- Participate in validation meetings of the revised policy and the 2023 - 2033 Action Plan with ECOWAS Member States.
The conduct of the study involves two (02) independent consultants with proven skills and experience in developing policies and strategies in the area of distance and e-Learning. They should be senior consultants. The most experienced consultant of the two will coordinate the study. Therefore, s/he should be perfectly bilingual. One of the consultants will cover the five English-speaking countries and the other the ten French speaking and Portuguese-speaking countries. Both consultants should:
- Have a Master’s degree in the field of Education, Social Sciences, Information Technology or other related fields
- Have at least ten years of experience in the development of sectoral or public policies at the national level
- Have extensive contacts in the field of distance education and e-Learning
- Have carried out at least one successful mission in the development of public policy at the national level
- Have carried out at least one similar mission with ECOWAS or another international organisation
- Have writing skills and are able to present information synthetically (study reports and scientific books)
- Have experience in public policy evaluation or strategic planning
- Have a good knowledge of the procedures of International Organisations and ECOWAS in particular
- Be bilingual (English; French; Portuguese) with an excellent command of one of the two languages; Knowledge of a third language would be an advantage
- Be proficient in the use of basic IT tools (Microsoft office, etc.)
- Have knowledge of the region.
Application Closing Date
11:00 am (GMT+1), 22nd February 2022.
Submission of Documents
Expression of Interest (1 original and 3 copies) must be delivered in sealed envelopes and clearly marked "Selection of Two (2) Individual Consultants for the Revision of ECOWAS Regional Distance (E-Learning) Policy and the 2023 - 2033 Action Plan" addressed and delivered to the:
Directorate of General Administration,
1st Floor ECOWAS Commission,
101 Yakubu Gowon Crescent,
P. M. B. 401,
F.C.T - Abuja.
(PDF) for a detailed description of the EOI.