Palladium Group invites qualified / interested consultants to indicate interest by submitting RFP document for the following services:
Palladium is a leading implementer of international development programs. Working in over 90 countries and across a broad range of sectors, we offer donor agencies a balance of global scale and in-house technical expertise. Aid is a critical component of our shared pursuit of the Sustainable Development Goals, and we bring our knowledge of the private sector to bear in designing solutions that use aid to spark lasting social and economic development.
Palladium works with governments around the world to make transformational change possible across regions and countries. We combine the rigour of private sector strategy execution with our deep understanding of development fundamentals to create more efficient governments and lasting social progress.
Applications are invited for:
Title: Request for Proposal (RFP) - Provision of Technical Assistance on External Quality Assurance for Malaria Diagnosis in Bauchi, Kebbi and Sokoto State - Scope of Work for Malaria Quality Assurance Technical Consultants
Technical support by three (3) malaria External Quality Assurance (EQA) expert consultants (one per state) to the State Ministry of Health (SMOH) and agencies on strengthening external quality assurance (EQA) for malaria microscopy and malaria rapid diagnostic tests (MRDT) in Bauchi, Kebbi and Sokoto states.
There is no gain saying that malaria remains one of the leading causes of child and maternal deaths as reported in World Malaria Report 2021. Despite good progress made in recent years to reduce malaria burden particularly in Africa, the rate of progress has leveled off recently especially in 2020 because of disruption of services due to COVID-19 pandemic. To reverse the trend, there is need for concerted efforts in promoting and facilitating safe and timely diagnosis and treatment malaria cases, as well as ensuring health workers are motivated and adequately equipped for malaria case management.
In 2021, IHP supported the SMOH, HSMB and SMEP in the three states to build the capacity of select Medical Lab Scientists (MLS) to form a State malaria EQA Team, conduct EQA Assessments, and set up EQA centers, provide supportive supervision and capacity building of MLS, lab technicians and service providers on malaria diagnosis (through microscopy and mRDTs), case management and quality assurance. In mid-2021, 1HP collaborated with the state to implement external quality assurance facility visits to assess malaria diagnostic services in supported secondary and primary health facilities. The outcome of the visits was presented to the states and stakeholders and remedial plans developed to address identified gaps and challenges.
In 2022, IHP plans to address the remaining gaps identified in EQA assessments building on successes recorded in 2021 by soliciting the services of three (3) experienced malaria EQA consultants (one per state) to support the state's malaria quality assurance system through standardization of procedures, clinical mentoring of trained Medical Laboratory Scientists and Technicians on quality assurance and programming for impact. Interested applicants should express interest in their preferred states, namely: Bauchi, Kebbi and Sokoto states accordingly.
Through the provision of technical assistance to the SMOH, SMEP, SHMB and malaria stakeholders, the consultant will ensure the following:
- A standardized and sustainable external quality assurance system for malaria diagnosis is put in place for the state, leveraging on national and global guidelines and best practices.
- Develop and implement a mentoring and supportive supervision plan that will support service providers (particularly MLS/lab technicians) to attain clinical competency in malaria diagnosis and sustain quality improvement.
- Find solutions to fill gaps identified during EQA assessments and facilitate quality improvement plans and processes of malaria diagnostics and case management.
- Strengthen EQA facility visits to both secondary and primary health facilities for service improvement.
- Support the State EQA Center to become fully functional and sustainable by supporting the state to quantify and cost equipment, furniture, consumables, and reagents needed for the EQA center and lead advocacy to SMOH for inclusion into the Annual Operational Plans.
State Ministries of Health (SMOH), State Primary Health Care Development Agency (SPHCDA), State Malaria Elimination Program (SMEP), Hospital Management Board (HMB), Local Government Health Authority (LGHA), Integrated Health Program (IHP), and the US President's Malaria Initiative (PMI).
- Payments are made based on delivery of approved deliverables.
- All deliverables must be of high quality and submitted in Microsoft Word and in a PDF format.
- The deliverable will not be considered final until approved by the Chief of Party (COP).
Required Personal Competences
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Leadership, team building, coaching and mentoring capability
- Ability to engage and manage strategic stakeholders including government, implementing partners, academia, and private sector
- Excellent communication skills (negotiation, moderation, representation, presentation, and writing/documentation)
Period of performance of the consultancy: March 1-August 31, 2022
For more details concerning this consultancy and other associated application tools.
Application Closing Date
11:59pm (WAT), 18th February, 2022.
Submission of Documents
N/B: No late application will be received after the deadline.