ActionAid Nigeria (AAN) invites qualified / interested Research Firm to tender EOI documents for the following works:
ActionAid Nigeria (AAN) is an affiliate of ActionAid International, a global alliance of organisations working towards achieving a world without poverty and injustice in which every person enjoys the right to a life with dignity. As a large and visible development organisation, ActionAid works in more than 40 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and America.
At AAN we work within poor and excluded communities to promote respect for the human rights of all. Our work extends beyond the people in these communities to relevant authorities with a view to empowering the people to take necessary action to end poverty. Since 1999, AAN has focused on social justice, gender equality and poverty eradication using the Human Rights Based Approach. AAN functions on the premise that protecting and fulfilling the human rights of people living in poverty will contribute to the eradication of poverty and injustice in Nigeria.
Applications are invited for:
Title: Expression of Interest (EOI) - SARVE III Baseline Study in Kano and Kaduna State
System and Structure Strengthening Approach against Radicalization to Violent Extremism (SARVE III) is a three-year project funded by the Global Community Engagement and Resilience Fund (GCERF) to establish and consolidate existing structures and practices within the context of prevention and response framework in project communities, among youth and women groups to tackle violent extremism and foster peaceful co-existence.
The project is being implemented with Dispute Resolution and Development Initiative (DRDI-DAG) in Kano State and Global Peace Development (GPD) in Kaduna State is supporting youths, women to engage actively with social and economic activities while also working with state and local government, ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs), traditional rulers, religious leaders, security agencies to create linkages and opportunities for young men and women. The three (Jan 2022 – December 2024) year project currently being implemented in Kano and Kaduna States entails effective engagement with the community and formal institutions and processes to influence practices that address youth and women issues and support them to becoming active change advocates/agents.
ActionAid (AA) Nigeria is seeking the services of a Research Firm to carry out a baseline study in Kano and Kaduna State. This is part of the deliverables of the “System and Structure Strengthening Approach against Radicalisation to Violent Extremism (SARVE III) Project in Kano and Kaduna State Phase III.
Through the baseline assessment, AAN aims to gain a better understanding of the local context, the drivers of violent extremism, and potential ways of addressing them in a gender-responsive way within the framework of the grant/programme design in Kaduna, Kano States. The baseline assessment will build on Consultative Community Needs Assessment undertaken by Actionaid Nigeria in 2021 to provide a more contextually specific and tailored analysis of VE drivers in a focused geographical area. The baseline is in effect part of a process to validate findings from prior assessments.
Finally, the baseline assessment provides a more precise understanding of perceptions about violent extremism in a particular geographic area in respect of the GCERF Strategy’s four leverage points to address drivers of violent extremism (social cohesion, community agency, equal access to opportunities, and sense of purpose) through quantitative and qualitative data collection. This part is standardised across all GCERF partner countries.
The consultant (She/he) to be recruited should have the following experiences:
- A good understanding and practical experience of development work including advanced skills in Social Research, Project Impact Evaluation, Humanitarian studies
- Degree in the field Social and Development Work, Social Research, Evaluation or another relevant Social Science subject (Masters/Ph.D. or Professor preferred)
- Have at least a minimum of 7 years’ experience in carrying out such an assignment and capacity for impact evaluation (a report of such work done in the last 2 years is a required evidence)
- Experience in developing tools for Project Impact Evaluations
- Excellent facilitation and writing skills (keeping it simplified)
- Understanding of the role of Monitoring & Evaluation in the programme cycle and experience of conducting learning reviews and evaluation processes, in the international development sector.
- Ability to apply a range of primary and secondary research methods including participatory methods.
- Experience in using qualitative and quantitative data analysis packages (e.g. SPSS, ATLAS.Ti, Nvivo).
- Computer literate and able to apply Microsoft Office and other analytical tools efficiently
- An excellent team worker
Roles and Responsibilities
The section below outlines key roles and responsibilities to be assigned to the two main parties at the baseline study process, and the consultants.
AA Country Team:
- Provide technical oversight to manage and support the overall Baseline Study process etc.
- Monitor and ensure that the baseline study process is followed as per the agreed overall approach, methodology, and timelines.
- Provide technical input and quality assurance at all stages of the Baseline Study process.
- Review the quality of the draft reports and provide timely feedback to the consultant.
- Provide Country Sign off on the Baseline Study by the Resilience Coordinator at ActionAid Nigeria who will confirm reports satisfactory before balance payments are made
- Work closely with the Project Coordinator, IASL, state programme officers and partner organization on all the Baseline study processes.
- Contribute to the design of the Baseline Study Iception Meeting to agree on the overall approach, methodology, framework, questions, methods, and tools for data collection and analysis.
- Conduct desk review and data collection.
- Produce consolidated Baseline Study Report.
Application Closing Date
26th February, 2022.
Submission of Documents
Interested consultants are invited to apply by sending a technical proposal (max 8 sides of A4) for the End of Project Evaluation including data collection methodology and work plan, sampling strategy, and data collection tools; CV detailing competency, links to sample of past works, and any other relevant information, demonstrating skill and experience in this area. Applicants should include invoice detailing daily rate.
(PDF) for a detailed description of the EOI.