The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) invites eligible Individual Consultant(s) to indicate interest by submitting EOI documents for the following works:
The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional political and economic union of fifteen countries located in West Africa. Collectively, these countries comprise an area of 5,114,162 km², and in 2015 had an estimated population of over 349 million.
Applications are invited for:
Title: Expression of Interest (EOI) - Selection of a Consultant (Firm) to Update the Financial and Macro-Economic Component of the Study on the Establishment of the Fund for the Development of Transport and Energy Sectors in ECOWAS - FODETE - ECOWAS
Reference No.: QCBS/PPDU-FODETE/PROC/02/22
The 36th session of ECOWAS Head of States and Government Summit, held in Abuja (Nigeria) on 22nd June 2009, instructed the ECOWAS Commission to work closely with the ECOWAS Bank for Investment and Development (EBID), the African Development Bank (AfDB) and the Project Preparation and Development Unit (PPDU) in order to define the modalities for the setting up of a Fund for Development and Financing of ECOWAS Transport and Energy sectors (FODETE-ECOWAS).
Similarly, the 37th Ordinary Summit held in Abuja 22nd February 2010 reaffirmed its support for the establishment of the FODETE-ECOWAS and requested the President of Cote d’Ivoire to continue his coordination role in the development of the regional infrastructural networks.
FODETE-ECOWAS is dedicated to financing the development of regional infrastructure in the Transport and Energy sectors and is expected to be fed from a levy on the key export resources within the region (agriculture, mines, oil, gas, etc...).
To this end, ECOWAS Commission recruited a Consultant to carry out a feasibility study for the set up and establishment of the Fund. The Consultant’s assignment will include examining the effect on the economy (national and regional) of establishing the FODETE and propose mitigating measures. Specifically, to:
- Conduct the economic, financial and legal feasibility analysis relating to the creation of the FODETE-ECOWAS;
- Define the conditions for set up of the funds;
- Define the modalities for feeding the fund;
- Elaborate the governance and operational modalities.
The Study was completed in March 2016 after a series of validations meetings by ECOWAS Member States. The Study concluded that FODETE can provide a credible and sustainable financing mechanism for the energy and transport sectors in the ECOWAS region.
Scope of Service
In order to address the above, the ECOWAS Commission is seeking to engage a Consultancy firm to conduct an update of the FODETE Study.
Using recent data from Member states. the Consultancy services (“the Services”) shall include but not necessarily limited to the duties and responsibilities outlined below:
- Review and update the Financial and macroeconomic analysis with respect to the possible impact of the proposed levies on the economies of ECOWAS Member States and propose mitigation measures;
- Review and update the financing needs in energy and transport outlined in the Study in line with the ECOWAS Regional Infrastructure Masterplan (2020-2045);
- Based on 2016 FODETE Feasibility Study, review and update the resources and the mode of supply of the Fund, namely:
- The products targeted: agricultural, mining, oil, other, etc...
- The rates and modalities of levies by type of product and the distribution key by country
- The expected resources in the short, medium and long term: an evaluation of the different products in the region is necessary as well as the expected and projected revenues over the period of the ECOWAS Infrastructure Masterplan development.
- The Consultancy firm must have vast experience in carrying out economic and financial studies in the ECOWAS region
- The Consultant must be a firm with extensive experience in institutional studies and reforms, particularly in the areas of fund establishment and infrastructure finance.
- The Consultancy firm must have demonstrated experience in the execution of at least two similar assignments.
- The Consultancy firm is expected to present an experienced multidisciplinary team comprising at least the following:
- Team Lead with vast experience in Fund establishment /management
- Economic /Financial expert
- The professionals who make up this team must have at least a Master’s degree in their specific disciplines and possess at least 10 years work experience except the Team leader who must have at least 15 years work experience.
Application Closing Date
11.00 am (GMT + 1), 11th March, 2022.
Submission of Documents
Expressions of Interest (1 original and 3 copies) must be delivered in sealed envelopes and clearly marked "Selection of a Consultant (Firm) to Update the Macro-Economic Component of the Study on the Establishment of the Fund for the Development of Transport and Energy Sectors in ECOWAS – FODETE - ECOWAS", Do not open except in the presence of the Evaluation Committee” and submitted to ECOWAS Tender Box is located in the:
Office of the Commissioner,
General Administration & Conference,
5th Floor ECOWAS Commission,
101 Yakubu Gowon Crescent,
P. M. B. 401,
(FCT) - Abuja.
(PDF) for a detailed description of the EOI.