The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) invites interested / eligible all-around communicator with sound news judgment, great writing skills, and a passion for grassroot storytelling to tender RFP documents for the following works:
The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) is a Swiss-based foundation launched at the UN in 2002 to tackle the human suffering caused by malnutrition. Working with both governments and businesses, we aim to transform food systems so that they deliver more nutritious food for all people.
At GAIN, we believe that everyone in the world should have access to nutritious and safe food. We work to understand and deliver specific solutions to the daily challenge of food insecurity faced by poor people. By understanding that there is no “one-size-fits-all” model, we develop alliances and build tailored programmes, using a variety of flexible models and approaches.
Applications are invited for:
Title: Request for Proposal (RFP) - Communications Consultant (Grassroot Storyteller)
Scope of Work
The Communications Consultant/Storyteller will undertake missions to GAIN countries to collect, curate, edit and generate timely and compelling content for GAIN (written content, with related audio content for podcast, video footage and photos), working with communications team at global and in GAIN countries to ensure all content is responsive and optimized. The content is NOT about profiling GAIN but rather about illustrating the issues at stake and what is needed to improve lives by transforming food systems for healthier diets and healthier planet. The ideal candidate will be highly familiar with the digital media industry so that he/she can place the materials easily for high exposure and widen our key audience going beyond the nutrition one.
In this context, the team is looking for a consultant to work for up to 100 days till February 2023 to support the team by increasing profiling of issues of interest for GAIN in the media, especially in GAIN countries.
The consultant will:
- Undertake three to four missions of approx 10 days each to GAIN countries. Kenya, Nigeria, Bangladesh and India are the likely places
- Write stories on issues at stake for GAIN with the aim of placing them in prominent media outlet
- For any of the above, we would need to define the themes-angles jointly and with countries and programme leads
- Produce derivative multimedia products (photos, video footage and podcast) that would go with those.
- Produce a full coverage of stories either from these missions or from a hybrid mode as the current situation allows it and define metrics to measure impact.
- Excellent communication skills in English, both oral and written.
- Extensive experience writing as a journalist or reporter.
- A proven track record of translating complex and technical information into material for an intelligent layperson, tailored to different audiences, especially business audiences.
- Able to work in a complex environment with various partners involved.
- Experience in convening partners to engage together as part of a communications campaign.
- Experience drafting an editorial plan to optimize the comms strategy and drive audience engagement and realize impact.
- A creative mindset, and a proactive and confident attitude.
- Proven track of successful writing – ideally on environment, climate change, food systems and nutrition - in form of social media campaigns and storytelling.
- Self-starter with an ability to prioritise and multi-task in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Strong team player and the ability to work with diverse multicultural team in a fast-paced environment.
- Up to date with the latest trends and best practice in media and social media marketing.
- Hands on, flexible attitude and with a strong feeling for people, and strong social skills.
- An eye for details, while maintaining the focus on the bigger picture.
- Fully vaccinated against COVID 19 and able to travel
- Proven record in writing for major media outlets
- Proven digital video editing skills for web and social media.
- Knowledge and understanding of nutrition international summits in 2021 (UN-Food System Summit, Nutrition for Growth summit, COP26, COP27 & COP28).
- Knowledge and understanding of nutrition audiences and how to go beyond these.
- 10 years or more of exceptional experience in the field of communications, advocacy, creative storytelling.
- Experience in translating content to business audiences.
- Passion for creative storytelling and new ideas with examples to showcase these.
- Undergraduate or master’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism, international relations development studies.
- Fluent written and spoken English.
- Any other language would be an asset
Application Closing Date
23rd February, 2022.
Submission of Documents
- GAIN reserves the right to reject any and all bids received in response to this solicitation and is in no way bound to accept any proposal. GAIN additionally reserves the right to negotiate the substance of the successful applicants’ proposals, as well as the option of accepting partial components of a proposal if deemed appropriate.
- GAIN reserves the right to negotiate on the final costs, and the final scope of work of the proposal. GAIN reserves the right to limit or include third parties at GAIN’s sole and full discretion in such negotiations.
(PDF) for a detailed description of the RFP.