The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) invites experienced consultant(s) to submit EOI documents for the following works:
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent, humanitarian, non-profit, non-governmental organisation which provides assistance, protection, and durable solutions to displacement-affected persons.
Applications are invited for:
Title: Expression of Interest (EOI) - Complaints and Feedback Mechanism: Institutionalisation in NRC
NRC’s 2022 - 2025 global strategy includes an objective to strengthen quality, accountability and learning in its response. This includes strengthening participation and engagement of the communities that NRC works within. A separate consultancy has been launched to provide strategic direction to NRC on community engagement and participation. Complaints and feedback, which is the focus of this consultancy is a sub-component of that work.
Complaints and Feedback Mechanisms (CFM) serves as a critical method for the communities that NRC works with (the people that NRC targets with its programmes, the wider community and suppliers) to hold NRC to account on its programme implementation and quality. Feedback refers to unsolicited opinions, criticism, praise, requests for support and/or suggestions communicated in a verbal or written form, through formal or informal channels. A complaint is a formal expression of dissatisfaction with the standards of service, actions or lack of action by NRC staff, or anyone directly involved in the delivery of NRC’s work.
Complaints are divided into three categories: 1) Service Complaints 2) Sensitive Complaints 3) Complaints on third parties: The aim of this consultancy is to map the current status of implementation of the CFM policy in the organisation, identify gaps, and provide options for how to further institutionalise this work going forward.
NRC is looking for an experienced consultant with a technical background in institutionalising CFM into a large organisation to commence work in March 2022.
Required Skill Set
- An experienced humanitarian practitioner with a demonstrated expertise institutionalising, implementing and developing CFM in humanitarian settings, with a minimum of ten years of relevant work experience.
- A clear understanding and appreciation of the specific organizational mandate, context and scope of NRC, as a leading humanitarian INGO working with people affected by displacement and, as such, not in a public health or natural disaster context. This does not preclude consultants from having a background in public health or natural disaster response, but it does mean that they need to be able to adapt their thinking in line with NRC’s mandate and strategy.
- The expected start date for the consultancy is Mid-March 2022, with all work to be completed by Mid-April, 2022.
- In addition to the above, the following skills and qualifications are required:
- Experience in developing, institutionalizing and implementing CFM within a humanitarian organisation
- Experience with humanitarian organisational change & strategy development processes
- Strong written and verbal presentation skills in English, French and Spanish an advantage
- Ability to articulate technical complexities to senior decision makers
- Experience reviewing complex institutional arrangements and understanding avenues for systems change
- Comfortable operating in the initial phases of a project, where objectives and deliverables are iterative
- Experience working remotely with minimal supervision, but with strong personal drive and communication skills needed for coordinating multiple moving pieces of work
- Strong understanding of the humanitarian INGO context. Prior knowledge of NRC desirable but not required
- At least ten years of experience implementing humanitarian programmes, five years of which should have been working directly with displacement-affected people.
Application Closing Date
7th March, 2022.
Submission of Documents
Expressions of interest are requested with the following information:
- Cover letter elaborating competency against expected qualifications and scope of work (where multiple team members, please elaborate on who will be involved/leading each piece)
- Background of individual (s) proposed for project
- Proposed number of days work and daily rate.
(PDF) for a detailed description of the EOI.