The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) invites interested and qualified companies / vendors to indicate interest by submitting EOI documents for the following works:
The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), is a United Nations agency responsible for providing humanitarian and developmental aid to children worldwide. The agency is among the most widespread and recognizable social welfare organizations in the world, with a presence in 192 countries and territories.
Applications are invited for:
Title: Expression of Interest (EOI) - Freeze - Preventative Cold Boxes and Vaccine Carriers
UNICEF is supplying for UNICEF-supported programmes worldwide the Vaccine Carriers and Cold Boxes (CBVC) for use within the cold chain during transportation and storage of vaccines. CBVC are needed predominantly at the outreach level of the cold chain: during last-mile transportation locally.
In recent years the new technology has been developed and introduced to the market - the Freeze-Preventative Vaccine Carriers (FPVCs) and Freeze-Preventative Cold Boxes (FPCBs) to reduce the risk of vaccine freezing during transport and to allow health staff to use these products without the need to pre-condition coolant packs. In order to prevent direct contact between vaccines and coolant packs, these FPVCs/FPCBs are designed to have an insulated barrier lining, which separates the vaccine storage compartment from the coolant packs.
UNICEF is preparing the solicitation, which will be issued with a goal to engage into non-exclusive Long Term Arrangements (LTAs) with the suppliers for a minimum of 1 year with possible extensions for up to 4 years for supply of FPVCs and FPCBs for UNICEF-supported programmes globally. The solicitation will be launched in May 2022 and will allow 5-6 weeks for submission of offers by suppliers.
With this REoI, UNICEF is requesting Expressions of Interest from suppliers to participate in the upcoming solicitation as well as indication of suppliers' overall interest to develop FPVCs/FPCBs in the nearest future.
Scope of Work
The products identified in this REoI fall under the following categories:
Schedule 1 - Freeze-Preventative Vaccine Carrier (including coolant packs):
- Vaccine carriers are used for transporting vaccines from health facilities with refrigeration to outreach sessions where refrigeration and ice are not available.
- FPVCs should be prequalified under the WHO-PQS specification E004/VC02.1
- Accordingly, FPVCs are limited to a minimum vaccine storage capacity of 0.5 liters and the maximum loaded weight of 8.0 kgs.
- The dimensions of the coolant-packs used for FPVCs must be complying with PQS/E005/IP01 Type 2, 3, or 4.
Schedule 2 - Freeze-Preventative Cold Box (including coolant packs):
- Cold boxes are used to collect and transport vaccine supplies from one fixed vaccine store to another, and from vaccine stores to health facilities; also used to temporarily store vaccines when the refrigerator is out of order or being defrosted.
- FPCBs should be prequalified under the WHO-PQS specification E004/CB05.3
- Accordingly, FPCBs are limited to a minimum vaccine storage capacity of 5 liters, a maximum loaded weight of 50 kgs and an external volume to vaccine storage capacity ratio of maximum 13 to 1.
- The dimensions of the coolant-packs used for FPCBs must be complying with PQS/E005/IP01 Type 2, 3, or 4.
Eligible Products / Suppliers
- UNICEF procures exclusively products holding WHO PQS pre-qualification status.
This REoI is addressed to manufacturers:
- Of products listed under the WHO PQS as FPCB/FPVC.
- Of products under development and planning to pre-qualify such products with the WHO PQS within 12-18 months. For the purposes of the solicitation process, such products will be referred to as pipeline products.
- Planning to develop new FPCB/FPVC within 12-18 months with subsequent intention to seek WHO PQS pre-qualification.
- Applications from formal representatives of the manufactures will be considered if no applications are received from such manufacturers directly.
Application Closing Date
13th March, 2022.
Submission of Documents
Interested suppliers are encouraged to complete the attached EoI form and return it to UNICEF by email to Santosh Pai Kakode at: firstname.lastname@example.org
with Subject "REoI - Freeze-Preventative Vaccine Carriers and Cold Boxes".
- The following should be noted:
- Prices are not required at this stage
- Questions about e.g. conformity of the supplier’s products will not be attended to at this stage
- This REoI does not constitute a solicitation. Submitting an EoI does not automatically guarantee receipt of the solicitation document when issued;
- UNICEF reserves the right to require compliance with additional conditions as and when issuing the final solicitation document.
- UNICEF reserves the right to change or cancel the requirement at any time during the REoI and/or solicitation process.
(MS WORD) for a detailed description of the EOI.