The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) invites interested and reputable consultancy firm(s) to tender RFQ documents for the following works:
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) is a specialised agency of the United Nations aimed at promoting world peace and security through international cooperation in education, the arts, the sciences, and culture.
Applications are invited for:
Title: Request for Quotation (RFQ) - Supporting the Capacity Building of TVET Personnel and Institutions and Upskilling of TVET Graduates to Manage an Inclusive and Sustainable Postpandemic Recovery
The pandemic has caused the world economy to shrink by 4.3% in 2020 (World Bank, 2021) due to business closures and sluggish re-opening for those that managed to survive. It has also reduced economic activities and caused a decline in national gross domestic products (GDP). By early 2021, about 93% of the global workforce had been impacted by pandemic-related restrictions (ILO, 2021). The past two years have posed unprecedented challenges, especially for young people and new labour market entrants.
UNESCO-UNEVOC, with support from its donors, has developed a project aimed at supporting TVET institutions and training providers in implementing measures to adapt to an accelerated phase of digitalisation of education, training and work. Through the project, UNESCO-UNEVOC seeks to strengthen the capabilities of TVET personnel and institutions and training providers in facilitating young people in their entry or re-entry to new job markets and entrepreneurial ventures, with a focus on youth affected by unemployment due to the pandemic. Intervention will leverage the institutions’ role in preparing the workforce for a market that must now adopt to the new normal and seize new job opportunities as countries move towards a more resilient, inclusive and sustainable post-pandemic recovery. As part of this type of recovery, efforts to expand and develop an economy that eliminates waste and pollution, prolong the life cycle of products and materials and regenerate natural systems to support people in living within the planet’s boundaries are at the heart of the plans to ‘build back better’ in many countries.
In line with this context, the project also seeks to support the delivery of up-skilling programmes for youth and adults, which can contribute to preparing the skills supply for a faster and sustainable recovery of the employment sector.
Purpose of the Assignment
The work described in this Terms of Reference aims to support meeting the objectives of the project described above. Specifically, the work to be undertaken by the Contractor invited to respond to this call will:
- Support TVET personnel to raise their professional and institutional capabilities to adopt green and circular economy approaches for skills for employment and self-employment in green and circular economy jobs
- Enhance the knowledge and competencies of TVET graduates and other individuals in the workforce category, in field areas that can accelerate an inclusive, green and resilient post-pandemic recovery by designing and delivering upskilling programmes on circular economy.
Tasks and Expected Outputs
Tasks to fulfill Objective 1:
- Support TVET personnel of selected institutions of the UNEVOC Network in developing countries, to adopt green and circular economy approaches in education and training to strengthen their strategies and pedagogies in skills for employment and self-employment:
- Review a selection of relevant vocational curricula (i.e., ISCED level 4 up to level 7) and collect data from relevant TVET personnel and vocation-oriented business practitioners on the following:
- Possible entry points for mainstreaming circular economy principles to existing TVET curricula and occupations;
- The potential use of existing circular economy toolkits in existing vocational programmes/study courses.
- Adapt existing Training of Trainers (ToT) approaches and materials with the aim to tailor and infuse these materials with circular economy learning approaches, suited to post-pandemic business recovery.
- Organize capacity building interventions comprising of Training of Trainers (ToT) workshop(s) and knowledge sharing seminar/s targeted at relevant TVET personnel, who have the authority to infuse and deliver curricula with new contents, integrate competency-based methods and be involved in the decision-making.
- Provide mentoring support and gather feedback from the intervention(s).
- Produce an outcome report.
Tasks to fulfill Objective 2:
- Design and deliver a short up-skilling programme mediated microlearning and/or a training on circular economy targeted at TVET graduates and individuals in selected job trades/occupations that are critical to accelerate inclusive, green and resilient recovery:
- Adapt training approaches to the skill needs of TVET graduates.
- Collaborate with institutions from countries with UNEVOC Centres to disseminate information and attract participation in the upskilling programme/micro-training opportunities on supporting business recovery.
- Collect the profiles of trainees and facilitate trainee participation.
- Prepare and implement training / upskilling programme for the target group (the mode of training delivery shall be suitable and appropriate to the requirements for developing specific skills and competencies).
- Provide report on the outcome including proof of training.
Application Closing Date
17:00 (CET), 10th March, 2022.
Submission of Documents
(PDF) for a detailed description of the RFQ.