TechnoServe invites interested and eligible consultant / firm(s) to express interest by submitting RFP documents for the following works:
TechnoServe is an international non-profit organization that helps people lift themselves out of poverty by harnessing the power of the private sector. Operating in almost 30 countries, we work with hardworking women and men in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. By linking people to information, capital, and markets, we have helped millions to create lasting prosperity for their families and communities.
Applications are invited for:
Title: Request for Proposal (RFP) - Planning and Execution Services for Commodity Monetization - USDA Nigeria
Subject to donor approval and contingent upon award of the program, TechnoServe seeks to monetize an estimated $17 million (pending solicitation clarifications sought from USDA) in donated commodity (volumes and type TBD) in Nigeria in order to fund economic development programs for smallholder farmers and small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in the coffee sector. TechnoServe seeks to propose a monetization strategy that generates the highest possible proceeds while minimizing the impact of monetizing the commodity/ies on domestic markets and optimizing the use of a limited freight budget over the life of the anticipated program, approximately five years.
TechnoServe seeks a consultant or firm to develop the monetization strategy for inclusion in its overall proposal to the donor. Should TechnoServe’s proposal be selected for award, the consultant or firm selected under this RFP will be awarded the entirety of the following Scope of Work, including execution of the monetization plan.
General Requirements & Scope of Work
Deliverable 1: Market Analysis and Development of a Monetization Plan:
- The consultant or firm will conduct a commodity market analysis of the target country, propose a monetization strategy and approach (e.g. selection of commodities, destination markets, timing, etc.) and prepare relevant monetization sections of TechnoServe’s proposal. The monetization plan should endeavor to maximize the proceeds generated by the monetization and optimize the available freight budget. Additionally, the commodity and monetization plan must detail how the consultant or firm will achieve at least 70% cost recovery, per the guidance in the USDA Food for Progress NOFO, linked here.
- The plan will be presented to TechnoServe for review and approval prior to the submission of TechnoServe’s proposal to the donor. The plan shall include: proposed sales methodology; proposed timing of commodity shipments; identification of potential buyers of monetization commodities; applicable import requirements and identification of any potential risks regarding import of commodity; a contingency plan in the event that programmed tonnages cannot be sold as planned. Specifically, the plan will include the following elements:
- Basic Information: Commodity, Package Size/Type (from provided list)
- Commodity Usage Type (from provided list)
- Quantity MT
- Destination Country
- Delivery to U.S. Port Date (month/year)
- Estimated Sales Price Per MT ($) and Estimated Proceeds ($)
- Special Needs and Distribution Methods, inclusive of: Transportation and Storage/Processing or Packaging/Duty-Free Entry/Economic Impact/Impact on Other Sales/Private Sector Participation in Sales of Commodity/Assuring Receipt Procedure
- Estimate rate of return (70% minimum is target)
Deliverable 2: Sales Agency and Execution of the Monetization Plan:
Application Closing Date
- The consultant or firm will act as TechnoServe’s monetization agent and be responsible for the sale of the commodity and provide the following services: update the initial monetization plan to reflect input from the donor and TechnoServe and any changes in the proposed markets; prepare tender documentation; advertise sale if using public tender methodology; review and evaluate bids and recommend buyer; negotiate and prepare sales contracts; work with financial institutions to secure payments; prepare call forward for commodities; coordinate logistics and documentation with TechnoServe-appointed freight forwarder; and oversee timely receipt of payment. The sale of the commodities must comply with USDA regulations 7 CFR 1499.
5:00pm (Eastern Time), 30th March, 2022.
Submission of Documents
All proposals must be emailed to the address below with your proposal attached in one or more files (PDF preferred) to: buy+US+P0008506@tns.org
- You will receive an auto-confirmation upon receipt.
- To ensure the integrity of this procurement exercise, DO NOT email your proposal to any employee of TechnoServe or deliver your proposal in hard copy to a TechnoServe office.
- Failure to strictly adhere to these instructions may make your proposal ineligible for consideration.
- Please kindly confirm your intent to bid to: buy+US+P0009449@tns.org by March 16, 2022.
- Questions regarding this RFP may be sent to buy+US+P0009449@tns.org, and must be received no later than 5:00 PM Eastern Time March 16, 2022. Responses to questions will be appended to this RFP and posted to TechnoServe’s website no later than March 21, 2022.
All proposals shall:
- Be in the English language.
- Contain the fee for services, payable in US Dollars, with applicable Tax/Charges clearly identified. This should be presented as a percentage of the total amount received from the sale of the commodities and will cover both deliverables.
- Describe the approach for executing both deliverables in the Scope of Work, including the estimated length of time to be devoted to Deliverable 1.
- Describe the qualifications, experience and capabilities of the firm in providing the type of services requested by this RFP. Resumes or CVs of “key personnel” shall be submitted as an attachment.
- Include a contact name, email address, and telephone number to facilitate communication between TechnoServe and the bidding organization.
- Include a brief outline of the organization and services offered, including:
- Full legal name, jurisdiction of incorporation and address of the company
- Full legal name and country of citizenship of company’s President and/or Chief Executive Officer, and all other officers and senior managers of the company
- Year business was established
- Provide contact information for two recent references.
- Proposals must contain a detailed cost breakdown with applicable taxes and other charges clearly identified.
(PDF) for more clarifications.