The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) invites interested Individual consultants to indicate interest by submitting EOI documents for the following works:
The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional political and economic union of fifteen countries located in West Africa. Collectively, these countries comprise an area of 5,114,162 km², and in 2015 had an estimated population of over 349 million.
Applications are invited for:
Title: Expression of Interest (EOI) - Recruitment of a Consultant for the Development of Communication Actions *for a Better Knowledge of the Regional Competition Framework *and Visibility of the Actions of the Ecowas Regional Competition Authority
N° ECW/ERCA-CTCF/ADM/ (DU (006) /15/03/22) kn
Background and Rationale
In 2008, ECOWAS adopted a Regional Competition Policy and, at the same time, established the ECOWAS Regional Competition Authority (ERCA) responsible for its implementation. This regional initiative aims to support and promote the free play of competition within the ECOWAS region and the protection of consumers' economic interests through the implementation of the Community Competition Rules.
The awareness-raising, information and advocacy activities carried out during the second half of 2021 in six (6) Member States revealed a lack of knowledge of the regional competition mechanism and of the ERCA among the majority of national actors. Having effectively launched its activities only in 2019, the ERCA's relative operational youth could largely justify the limited awareness of its existence and activities.
In an effort to strengthen dialogue and information sharing among all stakeholders, as well as to raise awareness of this recent mechanism for promoting competition within ECOWAS, the ERCA has decided to strengthen its communication activities. The outlines of this proactive communication are described in a global plan, the implementation of which should improve the visibility of the ERCA and its action.
This plan should include information and awareness-raising activities to significantly improve knowledge of the ECOWAS Competition Policy and the ERCA.
The main objective of this work is to prepare a communication plan that will describe the actions to carry out among all private and public economic actors operating on the regional market and consumers in order to strengthen their knowledge of the ECOWAS Competition Policy and the ERCA itself. In this respect, the objectives of the Communication Plan could be broken down as follows:
Deliverables / Expected Results
- Inform the national competition structures and economic operators about the regional competition provisions and the opportunities they offer to extend their actions beyond the national borders. No national competition authority can extend its actions beyond the national borders. Basically, it is the impact of their actions or those of companies operating on the national territory that could go beyond these national borders;
- Promote public awareness of the importance of implementing the competition policy and law for the improvement of product quality, lower prices, innovation and fairness in the markets, for the benefit of the final consumer;
- Enhance the ERCA's visibility in the public opinion as a regional agency, concerned with the improvement of the free competition conditions for the well-being of the Community's populations.
At the end of the service, the Consultant must provide a document containing a comprehensive communication plan on the ERCA's actions. In particular, he/she should present:
- A relevant list of potential targets;
- The communication actions to be considered and their implementing rules;
- An information monitoring mechanism.
Application Closing Date
- The Consultant must have a higher degree (at least Master's degree) in Communication or an equivalent qualification in the field.
- The Consultant must also have at least ten (10) years of experience in the field of communication and in particular in the development of communication plans.
- He/she must have a good knowledge of the ECOWAS media and press bodies and the new channels of communication.
11:00am (GMT), 7th April, 2022.
Submission of Documents
Expressions of Interest (1 original and 3 copies) can be delivered in sealed envelopes and clearly marked "Recruitment of a Consultant for the Communication Actions for a Better Knowledge of the Regional Competition Framework and Visibility of the Actions of the Ecowas Regional Competition Authority", Do not open except in the presence of the Evaluation Committee” to the Ecowas Regional Competitive Authority (ERCA) whose address is at:
Bertil Harding, KSMD, Bijilo,
P.O Box 4470,
Please note that electronic submissions are also accepted and shall be addressed to: email@example.com
copy to: firstname.lastname@example.org
(PDF) for a detailed description of the EOI.