The African Union Commission (AUC) invites eligible Individual Consultants to submit EOI documents for the following:
The African Union Commission (AUC) is the AU’s secretariat and undertakes the day to day activities of the Union. It is based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Applications are invited for:
Title: Request for Expression of Interest (EOI) - Consultancy Service for Design and Develop Statistics Data Base and Dashboard on SHaSA2 Indicators
TN-STATAFRIC - AUC-226587-CS-INDV
In line with the recommendation of the Committee of Directors-General of National Institutes of Statistics (CoDGs) held in November 2015 in Libreville Gabon, the African Union Commission (AUC), the African Development Bank (AfDB), the African Capacity Building Foundation (ACBF) and the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) led successfully the process of the review of the Strategy for the Harmonization of Statistics in Africa (SHaSA 2), for the period 2017-2026, its Action Plan, its Financing Plan and its Resource Mobilization Strategy. SHaSA 2 considers Agenda 2063 of the African Union, AfDB 10-Year Strategy 2013-2022 and its Five High Priorities (High 5s), Agenda 2030 of the United Nations, and emerging issues such as Data Revolution and Big Data. The process was inclusive and participatory which had involved all AU Member States, RECs and Civil Society Organizations.
During the 30th African Union Summit held in Addis Ababa from 28-29 January 2018, the Executive Council had adopted SHaSA 2 with its Action Plan, Financing Plan and Resource Mobilization Strategy; as the Continental Strategy for the Development of Statistics in Africa for the next 10 years and called upon Member States to implement it.
In its Decision, the Executive Council requested AUC to coordinate with UNECA, AfDB and other relevant stakeholders on the implementation of SHaSA 2, and report regularly to the Assembly on the progress made, which shows that Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) activities are critical to the effective implementation of SHaSA 2 ten-year Action Plan. M&E facilitate the transparent management of SHaSA 2 and the participatory and inclusive approach promote the involvement of all African Statistical System (AfSS) links in their proper implementation at different levels.
Monitoring is an on-going activity consisting of the systematic collection of data and information related to the indicators in order to provide the various actors of the AfSS with information on the progress and achievements of the objectives, as well as the use of resources allocated to SHaSA 2. The evaluation also provides a systematic and objective measurement of the results achieved in the implementation of SHaSA 2 in order to determine relevance, effectiveness, and impact in achieving the objectives.
The purpose of these terms of reference is to recruit two international consultants who will develop statistics data base and Dashboard on SHaSA2 Indicators.
The objective of the consultancy service is to design and develop a statistics data base and a dashboard on SHaSA 2 Indicators so as to improve and enhance the achievements of the implementation of SHaSA 2 obtained during the start-up period.
Scope of Assignment
The consultancy assignment includes, but not limited to, the following major scope of work and roles and responsibilities:
- Develop the methodology to be used for the achievement of the work;
- Determine the variables of the statistical Data Base
- Determine the list of indicators to ensure a better monitoring and reporting of the implementation of SHaSA 2;
- Build the Database based on the selected indicators;
- Develop the adequate IT software for the setup of the Dashboard of Indicators;
- Present the database and Dashboard for validation by the Steering Committee and later to the Executive Committee;
- Assist STATAFRIC in the implementation of the two developed tools to be enable a better monitoring and reporting to ensure the effective implementation of SHaSA
At each step, the document will be updated to integrate comments and recommendations of the SHaSA 2 governance organ including STATAFRIC, the Executive Committee (EC), the African Statistical Coordination Committee (ASCC), and the Committee of Directors General (CoDG) which will have to adopt the study. During his/her assignment, the consultant will participate in meetings and field missions on the activities related to the consultancy work.
Qualification / Experience Requirements
Each individual consultant will have, not limited to, the following qualifications and experience:
- Sound and proven experience in statistics and/or data science and IT background.
- At least a Master degree in statistics, data science or related field, with IT background and
- At least 15 years of excellent professional experience in key statistical and/or data science domains; including:
- Sound knowledge of SHaSA 2;
- Proven experience in working in national and international organizations.
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent command of one of the official AU working languages (English, French, Arabic, Portuguese) and good working knowledge of at least another one.
Application Closing Date
- Excellent planning, organizing and writing skills;
- Excellent communication skills, ability to work in multicultural environments, and ease in interpersonal relationships.
- Reliable and responsible personality and capacity to work under demanding professional circumstances and in an international environment;
- Excellent coordination and negotiation skills;
- Experience in dealing with senior business executives and government officials;
- Good team player while being independent and able to work autonomously
15th April, 2022.
Submission of Documents
CVs for the assignment must be delivered in a written form following the above criteria to the below address:
African Union Commission,
Attn: Head of Procurement Travel and Store Division,
Building C, Room 327,
P.O.Box 3243, Roosevelt Street,
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Tel: +251 (0) 11 551 7700 – Ext 4305
Fax: +251 (0) 11 551 0442; +251 11-551-0430
(PDF) for more clarifications on the EOI.