The African Peer Review Mechanism (APRM) invites interested consultants to indicate interest by submitting EOI documents for the following works:
The African Peer Review Mechanism (APRM) is an African Union (AU) specialized entity headquartered in Midrand, South Africa that was established in 2003 by the AU Heads of State and Government with the primary purpose of fostering practices that lead to political stability, high economic growth, sustainable and inclusive development, as well as accelerated regional and continental integration. It seeks to rectify underlying deficiencies in governance and socio-economic development processes among member states of the African Union.
Applications are invited for:
Title: Request for Expression of Interest - Individual Consultants for Interpretation Services
For efficient execution of APRM’s mission, the Conference Management Unit in the Continental Secretariat seeks to provide interpretation services at all APRM meetings organized at its headquarters and throughout the African continent.
In light of the foregoing, the APRM hereby invites qualified individual consultants to express their interest to provide interpretation services during various APRM meetings and missions, into and from English and French primarily, and, occasionally, into and from Portuguese, Spanish, Arabic and Kiswahili.
The APRM will select successful candidates and sign framework contracts with them in order to constitute a roster of freelance interpreters whose services will be contracted as and when needed during a period of three (3) years, renewable.
Objectives and Scope of the Assignment
Qualifications and Experience Required
- The Conference Management Unit will use the services of the selected consultants, as and when needed, to meet the Institution’s interpretation needs throughout the duration of the framework contracts.
- There shall not be any lump sum payments and the consultants shall be paid for the services effectively provided.
- The consultants will be required to perform quality interpretation during meetings.
- For each assignment, the interpreter and the APRM , through the Conference Management Unit, shall agree on the duration and cost of the service to be provided; the costs shall be based on defined rates set by the African Union and taking into account international standards.
- The payment of consultants, continuation and subsequent renewal of contracts shall be contingent upon satisfactory periodic and annual performance.
Prospective consultants must be nationals of African Union Member States and shall possess the following qualifications and skills, in keeping with the AU’s procurement policies:
Application Closing Date
- At least a Master’s degree in any field from a recognized institution of learning with five (5) years’ experience in conference interpreting, preferably in servicing international meetings; OR
- A tertiary qualification (Bachelor’s degree, Post-graduate Diploma, or Honour’s degree) in any field from a recognized institution with a minimum of seven years’ experience in conference interpreting, preferably in servicing international meetings;
- A degree in interpreting from a recognized tertiary institution would be an added advantage;
- Excellent speaking skills in English, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Arabic or Kiswahili as applicable;
- Ability to work reliably, independently and effectively, even under pressure, and to meet agreed deadlines;
- Adequate knowledge of the core business, activities and operations of the African Union and the African Peer Review Mechanism;
- Experience working for the African Union and/or other international organizations would be an asset;
- Ability to work in a multicultural and multilingual environment;
- Ability to work in a team and to communicate effectively;
- Computer literacy and familiarity with standard software as well as with Remote Simultaneous Interpretation tools and similar software will be an added advantage.
30th June, 2022.
Submission of Documents
Interested consultants are hereby invited to electronically submit;
- A letter of expression of interest,
- A curriculum vitae indicating their nationality, language combination and city of residence
- Scanned copies of qualifications and relevant academic credentials.
Expressions of interest must be submitted via E-mail at: email@example.com
with submit title "EOI APRM/AUC/IS /06/2022: Request for Expression of Interest: Individual Consultants for Interpretation Services".
- Only bids submitted on time shall be accepted.
- Bids submitted with wrong submission title shall be rejected.
(PDF) for more clarifications on the EOI.