TechnoServe invites interested and qualified consultants to tender applications for the following works:
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a non-profit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital, and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs, and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
Applications are invited for:
Title: Gender Research Consultant
Specifically, the research aims to answer the following questions:
Primary Functions & Responsibilities
- Does WEE increase or decrease the risk of GBV among West African women in West Africa? GBV defined here as violent and controlling behaviour exhibited against women, at the family (including spousal relationship) and societal or community levels
- What are the causal factors (including sociocultural, socioeconomic and personal factors as they relate to both men and women) that increase or decrease the risk of GBV among women in different work environments across West Africa?
- What measures are in place that are likely to mitigate the risk of GBV for West African women participating in economic activities?
The consultant will work in close consultation with TechnoServe’s Monitoring and Evaluation Adviser for West Africa, the Global Gender Practice and the Director of Programs in Nigeria. Also, the consultant will be expected to undertake travel to with Nigeria, Ghana and Senegal where the research will be conducted.
Under this scope of work, the consultant shall perform, but not be limited to these specific tasks below:
- Familiarize themselves with the research proposal and relevant literature in order to develop appropriate research tools for research deploying a mixed-method approach
- Identify communities in each state within each of the countries where the study will be undertaken based on secondary data and deploy research tools in selected communities
- Lead the selection and training of survey enumerators on gender-responsive data collection processes and ethical standards for collecting data on GBV
- Oversee and supervise data collection including literature review, data storage and security, and data cleaning
- Lead data analysis and report writing
- Act as the main interface (including making presentations) between the project and other stakeholders within and beyond TechnoServe
- Lead the recruitment and mobilization of the research team, including survey enumerators
- Ensure timely execution of research activities in line with the research work plan
- Ensure judicious use of research funds to avoid any under or over-spend of funds
- Manage other consultants engaged to support the research.
- Desk-review report: A synthesized report of the desk research on WEE-GBV from a global, African, West-African perspective with a close look at Nigeria, Senegal and Ghana is developed and shared
- Data collection instruments: Based on findings from the desk review, and the research questions, a set of questions for the survey, case-studies, KII and FGDs are developed and shared with key stakeholders for review
- Presentation of key findings and analysis: Preliminary findings and analysis are presented to key stakeholders for review and feedback
- Draft narrative report: A report synthesizing all feedback from the presentation of findings and analysis as well as the desk review is compiled and shared for addition feedback
- Final report and presentation: A final narrative report incorporating the feedback from the draft report and a power point presentation summarizing the narrative report is shared.
- Master's or better in Social Work or related field.
- A minimum of seven years’ research and professional experience in gender issues in West Africa, particularly WEE and GBV with demonstrable knowledge of the current issues
- Experience applying ethical standards required to carry out research on GBV
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Application Closing Date
- Strong qualitative and quantitative data analysis skills using STATA, Excel and NviVo or MAXQDA
- Strong presentation skills using PowerBI or Tableau
- Demonstrable communication and report-writing skills
- Excellent command of English and a strong mastery of the French language
- Strong knowledge and application of data quality tools and approaches
- Ability to manage a remote team and adhere to timelines for deliverables in a remote work setting
- Demonstrable leadership skills
- Ability to manage short-term assignments including budget, scope and timelines.
Submission of Documents
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here
to apply online.