The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) invites interested, competent and eligible consultants to indicate interest by submitting RFP documents for the following works:
The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) is a non-profit foundation based in Geneva, Switzerland. GAIN was developed at the UN 2002 Special Session of the General Assembly on Children. GAIN’s actions include improving the consumption of nutritious and safe foods for all.
Applications are invited for:
Title: Request for Proposal (RFP) Consultant - Systematic Review of Digital Technologies Used in Food Fortification
Large-scale food fortification (LSFF) and biofortification have been shown to significantly improve nutrition, health, and development outcomes. However, these interventions often do not achieve their desired effect – mediated through changes in dietary intake. Most limitations can be linked to gaps in the data value chain. Data collection throughout various points of the food fortification value chain (Figure 1), i.e., from premix supply or seed distributors and aggregators to producer to processor and consumer are needed as is the linkage between data and decision making. Importantly, timeliness, completeness, transparency, and usefulness of information pertaining to the food, value addition and fortification processes are needed by value chain stakeholders/actors and ultimately, decision makers. Simply collecting and making data available is not enough to drive big change and improve health; data must be processed and reported in a timely manner, i.e., packaged in digestible, smart, and effective ways to various players and decision makers. In other words, the entire data value chain must be strengthened.
To fill this gap, GAIN is conducting a review of digital technologies that are currently in use for fortification programs. As part of this work, GAIN seeks to engage the services of a Consultant to undertake a systematic review on the available digital technologies for data collection, synthesis, analysis, and visualization which focus on large-scale food fortification and biofortification. GAIN will be the administrative lead organisation for this RFP.
Scope of Work
- The main objective is to undertake a systematic review that will present a summary to date of previous and current digital technologies being used/being implemented to strengthen food fortification. This will include digital technologies for collection, synthesis, analysis, and visualization of data which focus on large-scale food fortification and biofortification.
- The review must use transparent and reproducible methods in line with best practices for systematic reviews. We will explore the possibility of conducting the review including only published literature but anticipate there may be a paucity of studies.
- The review is expected to generate a high-quality and comprehensive summary that will result in a manuscript to be submitted to a peer-reviewed journal.
The consultant shall provide the following services:
- Work with GAIN on the development of a review protocol (methodology, search terms, databases, etc.), and finalize based on input from GAIN.
- Undertake keyword searches in relevant databases and search the websites of relevant organizations to identify relevant documents, clearly documenting the search methods.
- Screen all identified documents for inclusion using defined inclusion/exclusion criteria, clearly documenting reasons for exclusion.
- Review the title, abstract and full text of all relevant documents and extract relevant information using a standardized template.
- Regularly update GAIN on the progress of the review, including discussing initial screening and results and using those to adapt strategies if necessary.
- Document all steps of the review process.
- Compile PRISMA Flow Diagram detailing the number of records identified, included and excluded, and the reasons for exclusions.
- Contribute to reviewing and editing of the draft manuscript (initial draft to be written by GAIN).
GAIN expects that the output of this review will be a manuscript for submission to a peer-reviewed journal, with the consultant as a co-author.
Application Closing Date
- The consultant must have demonstrated experience undertaking similar work and should have substantial prior experience conducting systematic reviews.
- S/he should have strong knowledge of at least one of the following: research methodologies (necessary), nutrition, fortification and/or bio-fortification (preferred but not necessary).
- S/he should be fluent in English.
5:00pm (EST), 13th May, 2022.
Submission of Documents
Completed proposals should be submitted via email to: email@example.com
Interested applicants should prepare a proposal that consists of the following:
- A three-paragraph expression of interest including: reasons for interest in the task, qualifications conducting systematic reviews; estimated number of days and budget
- A brief (<3 pages) CV highlighting recent relevant experience and references; and
- A relevant writing sample (from similar work)
(PDF) for a detailed description of the RFP.