The African Union (AU) invites eligible Individual Consultants to indicate their interest by tendering applications for the following works:
The African Union (AU), established in 2002 as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African States as well as fostering international cooperation. Its Headquarters is located in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Applications are invited for:
Title: Consultancy Service - Senior Advisor Deployment to the AULO Chad
The AU-Led Support Mechanism for the Political Transition in Chad was established pursuant to the Communique PSC/BR/COMM.(CMXCVI) adopted at the 996th meeting of the Peace and Security Council held on 14 May 2021. Pursuant to the decision, an Early Response Mechanism was developed for multi-disciplinary, technical support to the Transitional National Government (TNG) and the AU Liaison Office in N’Djamena towards: (i) convening a national dialogue and other relevant activities; (ii) capacity building activities and good office missions; (iv) other activities related to the ongoing transitional process in Chad; and (v) the overall functions of the AU High Representative to Chad in the discharge of his mandate.
In 2021, The AU-SM has supported the Pre-Dialogue Activities of the Chadian Government including activities undertaken by various Chadian institutions and entities. On 15 January 2022, the Commission deployed five (5) technical Experts to serve for 45-days, ending on 28 February 2022. Since the recruitment the Technical Experts, the Chadian Political Transition has experienced delays. For example, following internal consultations that assessed the preparations undertaken hitherto towards an inclusive national dialogue, the Chadian authorities have announced the postponement of both the pre-dialogue talks between the politico-military groups and the National Dialogue to 27 February and 10 May 2022, respectively. The pre-dialogue talks were originally scheduled to take place on 10 January, while the National Dialogue was scheduled for 15 February 2022.
Given the aforementioned delays, the Commission deems the maintenance of technical support important towards the convening of the National Dialogue and the implementation of the outcome of the process.
Scope of the Assignment
The Senior Adviser will be responsible for the following duties:
Qualifications and Experiences Required
- Identify, analyse and monitor developments and emerging issues in Chad, with the view to keep the SRCC and AUC leadership apprised of developments in the political environment, in particular on the steps taken towards: organizing of an inclusive and transparent national dialogue, meeting of milestones stipulated within the roadmap of the transition, ushering in a new constitution, and conducting an inclusive electoral process at the end of the 18-month period;
- Assess implications, and make recommendations to the SRCC on possible strategies, policies and other measures to address issues of concern, and to advance mandated objectives of the AULO in supporting the Transitional Government;
- Prepare speeches and talking points for the SRCC;
- Engage or support the SRCC in their engagement with national and international partners to facilitate the directives of the PSC;
- Ensure close coordination and collaboration between the SRCC and the AU Special Envoy of the Lake Chad Basin Commission to Chad, towards jointly consolidating support for the political transition in Chad;
- Maintain regular contact with the Coordinator of the Central Africa regional desk and the Mediation and Dialogue Division (MDD) to ensure the provision of technical support when necessary, and to aid in the centralization of all documents and lessons learned for effective knowledge management;
- Serve as a focal person of the AU-led Support Mechanism to facilitate and coordinate the efforts of the SRCC towards providing comprehensive and sustained support to the transition process;
- Participate in the formulation of the AULO’s programme of work in close coordination with the AULO focal person at CMD, determining priorities and activities that are in accordance with the mandate;
- Facilitate the translation of policies given by the SRCC into tasks and work with components to ensure their effective implementation;
- Perform any other related duties as may be assigned by the SRCC.
The Senior Adviser should have:
Application Closing Date
- A Master’s university Degree in Peace & Security Studies, International Studies, Political Science, Public Policy, Law, Public Administration, Social Studies, or other related disciplines. A Bachelor degree in the above-mentioned fields with at least three (3) additional years relevant experience will be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree;
- A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in political affairs, diplomacy, legal affairs, conflict resolution, or other related fields;
- Relevant experience in political outreach, facilitation, analysis and reporting, including the development and implementation of political strategies is required;
- Experience working in a conflict or post-conflict setting is required.
- Previous experience with Government, NGO, multilateral, regional or international institutions would be desirable;
- Knowledge of Chad Peace Security and Governance issues
3:00pm, 23rd May, 2022.
Submission of Documents
Applications must be delivered in a written form to the address below at:
African Union Commission,
Head of Procurement Travel and Store Division,
P.O. Box 3243, Roosevelt Street
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Consultant should send the proposal to both emails.
(PDF) for more clarifications.