John Snow Incorporated (JSI) invites applications from qualified candidates for the position of: Consultant to Conduct Assessment of Routine Immunization Services. The position is located in Alimosho, Lagos State. Interested candidates should possess a minimum of First Degree in Geography, GIS, Public Health, Statistics with at least 5 years work experience.
John Snow Incorporated (JSI) is a US based not for profit organization that supports Nigeria to strengthen health systems. MOMENTUM Routine Immunization Transformation and Equity (MRITE) is a subsidiary of the John Snow Incorporated. MRITE project is part of a suite of innovative awards funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) to holistically improve family planning and maternal and child health in partner countries around the world. The project applies best practices and explores innovations to increase equitable immunization coverage in USAID-supported countries around the world. MRITE has improved immunization coverage across various states in the country including Lagos.
Applications are invited for:
Title: Terms of Reference for a Consultant to Conduct Assessment of Routine Immunization Services within 2 Km of their Settlements in Alimosho Local Government Area of Lagos State
Location: Alimosho, Lagos
Employment Type: Full-time
- Alimosho Local Government Area (LGA) in Lagos state is the most populated LGA with only 37 public health facilities serving the entire population in 24 wards. The LGA is known to have unvaccinated children with cases of diphtheria as well as circulating vaccine derived polio virus (cVDPV) which could all be addressed by high vaccination coverage.
- Access to routine immunization services is crucial for safeguarding the health of children and preventing the spread of vaccine-preventable diseases.
- To ensure that children can easily access vaccination services, it is imperative to assess the proximity of these facilities to caregiver settlements. This project aims to ensure that all children/caregivers within Alimosho LGA have convenient access to immunization services within a 2-kilometer radius of their settlements.
- The overall project goal is to increase immunization coverage within Alimosho LGA by ensuring all children/caregivers have access to routine immunization services within 2 km of their settlements in Alimosho Local Government Area of Lagos State.
- Findings from the assessment will inform strategies/interventions to improve immunization uptake especially related to access.
- The Consultant will be responsible for planning, implementing, and monitoring strategies to ensure that children can access routine immunization services within a 2-kilometer radius of their settlements. The specific objectives include:
- Identify and map all settlements based on their populations within Alimosho LGA.
- Identify and map existing health facilities that offer immunization services within the LGA.
- Assess the accessibility of facilities providing immunization service to settlements with a focus on ensuring all caregivers/children are within a 2-kilometer radius of a facility.
- Collaborating with stakeholders to develop strategies to enhance access to immunization services in settlements with limited proximity to healthcare facilities.
Scope of Work
- Collect data on settlements, including their locations, populations and geographic coordinates
- Gather data on existing immunization facilities to include location of Primary Heath facilities, services offered and catchment populations.
- Develop detailed maps that visually represent immunization facilities and their location in settlements
- Utilize quantum geographic information systems (QGIS) software for accurate mapping of facilities and settlements.
Assessment of Proximity:
- Calculate the distances between each settlement and the closest immunization facility using GIS tools
- Identify health facilities that are not within the 2-kilometer radius and require targeted strategies/interventions to increase access to immunization services.
Recommend Improvement Strategies:
- Collaborate with relevant stakeholders including state officials, community heads and partner organizations/NGOs to develop strategies aimed at improving access to immunization services for children in areas with limited proximity to healthcare facilities.
- Develop a monitoring, evaluation and learning plan for teams that will implement planned strategies to assess effectiveness.
- Analyze findings from assessment and develop insightful presentations in powerpoint
- Prepare a comprehensive report summarizing findings with maps and proximity assessment
- Make recommendations for further actions and improvements in access to immunization services.
The Consultant should adopt the following methodology:
- Appropriate engagement with state and LGA team
- Utilize GIS software for data collection, mapping, and distance calculations
- Collaborate with and update state officials, community heads and partners
- Ensure data accuracy and precision throughout the project.
- The following deliverables are expected from the Consultant:
- A comprehensive report on the assessment of proximity of facilities to settlements including maps and distance calculations.
- Insightful power point presentations of findings from assessment and analysis.
- Recommended improvement interventions for immunization uptake.
Expected Duration of Assignment:
- The assignment is expected to be completed within twenty (20) working days.
- The Consultant shall report to a Mrite State Team Lead in Lagos for guidance and project oversight. All reports shall be submitted to the supervisor at the agreed timeline.
Qualifications / Experience
- Required: First Degree in Geography, GIS, Public Health, Statistics
- Desirable: Masters / Advanced Certification in QGIS, Public Health, Statistics
- Work experience: Minimum of 5 years experience working on the field especially on health facility assessment and strengthening health systems
- Proficiency in GIS software for mapping and spatial analysis
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with fluency in written and spoken English
- Must possess strong strategic thinking, problem-solving, and thought leadership abilities
- Advanced proficiency with Ms. Office suite
- Must be able to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
Application Closing Date
14th October, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their proposals, including a detailed workplan and budget to the Technical Manager by mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org using "CONSULTANT TO CONDUCT ASSESSMENT OF ROUTINE IMMUNIZATION SERVICES" as the subject of the mail.
Note: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.